SDNP STAFF MEETING HELD ON June
22, 1998 IN SDNP OFFICES AT POLYTECHNIC
Dr P. Nyirenda - Programme Coordinator (PC) - Chairman
Mr C. Longwe - Information Specialist (IS)
Ms F. Karim - Admin. Assistant (AA) - Secretary
- Review of previous minutes
- Matters arising from minutes
- Workplan for the following week
- Office Tea
- Requisition forms
- Any other business
- Date of next meeting
CU/142/98 The PC called the meeting to order at 9:45am.
FOLLOW-UP ON PREVIOUS WEEKíS ACTIVITIES
CU/143/98 AA reported that the following activities had been carried
out by her:-
- Partitioning of ISís office was underway and that fitting of plywood,
door and lock had already been done. What is remaining, and should be through
by end of the week is painting and welding of burglar bars on the private
- Contacted Mr Chaponda of NESU on work time and he said SDNP have
to follow Malawi Government time since most UNDP project follow Government
- Contacted Mr Chaponda on training for financial management. On this
he said that if there is need for that, AA should identify the required
training and then PC can recommend to UNDP.
- Taught by IS on how to use netscape WEB editor in readiness for
the many web pages that may need typing.
- Drawing up of a workplan for AA for the next quarter will be done
by PC since most of the activities by AA will be a result of activities
carried out either by PC or IS.
CU/144/98 IS reported having carried out the following tasks:-
- Drawing of SDNP office location to show where power wiring will
take place in equipment room, and getting of quotations for the materials
needed to complete the power wiring.
- On setting up a SLIP connection, IS will have a look at an already
existing Slip Server and start by setting up a slip check to dial to slip
server at unima with a view to set up modems. (PC will supply account number
and password) More information on this is in the Networking Guide.
- Completed teaching AA how to use netscape WEB editor and Browser.
- Enhanced summary for health Insurance Document with emphasis on
coverage and exclusions of the insurance.
- Training programme for regional node operators is underway, but
the material that is ready will be submitted to PC after AA has typed it.
- Drawing up of workplan for IS for the next quarter is underway and
part of the workplan will be drawn up by PC.
CU/145/98 PC reported as having done the following actions:-
- On telephone lines installation, PC contacted telephone Sales Department
to speed up issuing of telephone numbers and advice note to telephone exchange
for installation of lines which are 16 in total.
- On information on MCI contacts required by UUNET, PC sent an e-mail
to Mr Kazmi, giving him the information he required which was supplied
by Mr Phiri of MPTC.
- Following up of shipment of equipment which is now in the country
in Lilongwe, awaiting custom clearance
- Report on Addis Ababa Trip is said to be pending
- Report on condition of vehicle no. MG168U is pending
- Drawing of staff workplan for the next quarter is underway, awaiting
project documents from IS and AA.
MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES
CU/146/98 PC reported that a transceiver has been sent from SDNP
New York by UNDP Pouch by Radhika Lal as per minute no. CU/132/98.
CU/147/98 Information on how to send back to the SUN Workstation
which is in a non-working condition has also been received from SDNP New
York and it has been recommended that only the systemís unit be sent to
New York using UNPD approved shipping agent and the peripherals should
CU/148/98 According to minute CU/135/98 concerning the project financial
bank account, the PC reported that the forms for opening the account were
sent by Commercial Bank, Lilongwe Capital City Branch to their branch in
Blantyre but had not yet reached Blantyre by the time of the meeting.
CU/149/98 On ISís office rehabilitation, minute CU/137/98 (b), IS
requested if there could be a provision of blinds in his office, to provide
shade from too much sun through the windows and dust which may be bad for
the machines in the office. PC agreed to the decision and asked IS to get
a quotation for the blinds.
WORKPLAN FOR THE FOLLOWING WEEK
CU/150/98 AA is to carry out the following activities:-
- Purchase remaining stationery before the end of the quarter.
- Come up with an inventory of what ever SDNP has at the moment and
update it each time there is receipt of goods.
- Supervise completion of ISís office rehabilitation.
- Develop WEB page on Gender issues with emphasis on Malawian Women.
- Develop WEB page on Coordination Unitís Meetings Minutes.
- Print files (AFR-FEM) using program called LIST, to assist creation
of Gender WEB page.
- Polish up the draft requisition form.
- Read the book on Internet and how it works with a view to take up
- Call Mr Chiponda of NESU and find out about office tea.
- Develop a claim form for SDNP.
- Initialize installation of burglar bars on the private door in ISís
- Purchase equipment for office tea.
CU/151/98 IS is to carry out the following activities:-
- Using a budget of K7,000 as in workplan, finalize power wiring in
ISís office (get permission from the V/P of Polytechnic if there are any
changes to be made on the current power wiring)
- Configure router upon receipt of transceiver
- Install and configure Coordination Unitís equipment upon its arrival.
- Install Linux 2.0.3
- Finalize establishment of Regional Node Operators Training Programme
- Establishment of E-mail link after installation of telephone lines
- Design an equipment rack and get quotations for materials needed
to construct one for SDNP.
- Draw up an office plan with modifications done during rehabilitation
CU/152/98 PC is to carry out the following activities:-
- Finalize opening of project bank account at Commercial Bank, Blantyre
- Push Mr Mhura to submit report on consultancy to register SDNP as
- Meet Mr Phiri (MPTC) on confirmation of contracts with UUNET
- Follow up on identification of regional node operators for SDNP
in the three regions in Malawi.
- Follow up with UNDP on equipment for regional node offices.
- Draw up a workplan for the next quarter for SDNP staff.
- Follow up driver issue with NRCM for vehicle number MG168U.
- Check on PABX price for the two telephone lines in SDNP offices.
- Meet Polytechnic CEO on messenger issue (for SDNP offices).
DATE OF NEXT MEETING
CU/153/98 Meeting closed at 11:45am and PC requested for another
meeting to be held on Monday 29th June 1998 at 9:30am